Saturday, April 14, 2012

Voter ID Not Needed Here

Eighty some year old Mrs. V. eyes every soul that comes through the door of the church basement. She is sitting behind a metal table, papers all neatly lined up, books with names in them, and "I Voted Today" stickers within easy reach. She spots me in an instant in line and, with a voice made even louder by the cement walls and floor, yells my name and asks for all to hear, "Are you married yet?" She hurriedly finishes up another voter,hands them a sticker and continues..."didn't I see you at my neighbor's 50th anniversary party 10 years ago with a nice man? Whatever happened to him?"

 Mrs. V knows everyone on the hill. There may be a few drifters or renters moving in now that some of the widows are passing away, but she will soon know their life stories, too.

 Voter fraud? Here? Are you kidding me? I will have to reach for my driver's license this year. I'm curious as to how Mrs. V. will react to all this. I'm sure her 80 year old friends don't drive and don't have ID's. I wonder what she will say to them? You can't vote here after 50 years, even though I know your children, your grandchildren, your sisters and brothers and cousins? Even though you lived in your house when you first got married after the war? And you still live there?

I'll probably tell Mrs. V. how I feel. Though she is sharp enough to already realize what it going on. It's the Republicans trying to suppress the votes of the old and the poor who are less likely to have ID. This way they can try to limit the votes in our "swing state" for President Obama. No other reason for it. Can't justify it. We don't have a massive voter fraud problem here in PA. We have political fraud. People otherwise eligible to vote, will be denied their rights.

No comments: