Saturday, March 31, 2007

Beam Him Up, Beam Him Back, (Scottie, that is).

You have probably heard by now that the guy who played Scottie on Star Trek died. After all, it happened two years ago. What we find out now, is that it has taken this long to schedule a flight to blast his remains into outer space.


So what happened?


According to Reuters:
The company had originally planned to blast Doohan's remains into space two years ago. But the flight was delayed by tests, then by a misfire during a practice launch last year.
After a short flight the rocket will return to Earth with the capsules holding the remains. Space Services is a commercial venture that charges $495 to send a sample of a person's ashes into suborbital space...





What's this? Blasting him into space, then BRINGING HIM BACK HOME?



I don't get it. I suppose it is the Science Fiction buff in me. My imagination dreams up great
adventures for people whose remains are shot into space. I know if my remains were launched into infinity instead of just planted in the ground, I wouldn't want to come back...


I'd have a slim hope of maybe... just maybe some space alien would find me someday.... (perhaps my capsule full of dust would take out a window on the pie plate space module he is piloting) and this alien being would, in his own language of course, think... Wow look at this.... let me add some water and some hydronium-phosphate miracle powder, point this Illudium PU-36 space modulator at it, then press reverse, of course ....

and POOF!



I 'd be reborn.

No comments: