Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Sunday Morning Muse, August 26, 2007


How much is enough?

--
I have a digital camera that is only two megapixels. Do I need ten? Do I want to be able to magnify every picture to the point where I can see my pores? Or pick out a face in the crowd 500 feet away? (perhaps I'll settle at 4 megapixels on sale)

--
I have 100's of CDs. Do I need 1000's of MP3's stored on an IPOD? When will I listen to them all? Do I know 1000 good songs?
--
Same thing with TVs. Why not a whole wall size TV in the house?
Will it stop there?
--
Don't even get me started on computers. I quit keeping track of how many RAMS of memory I have or the speed of my Pentium chip a long time ago. For all I know computers run on jigawatts now.
--
At least I don't have dial-up.
--
But sometimes when I walk through the electronics section of a Radio Shack, or even a Walmart these days, and I don't really know what half of the stuff does that sit on the shelves, I get a sudden feeling I'm being left behind. Like the Amish are more savvy than me on this subject.
Then it all passes and I go home and light one of my oil lamps and read a book.

No comments: