Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saved from Junk Day



Junk Day 2008 came and went. The piles seemed even higher this year than last, as junk sprouted from almost every curb.

Of course there are pigs who put out more than a fair share. I tried not to let it dampen my mood as I drove about taking some pictures of junk, and taking in the scene. It was heartening to see the neighbor kids throwing out horrible big plastic things that kids play with and grow out of. I hate that stuff.



My album collection survived intact, though I almost threw out Mitch Miller and Gene Autry, then brought them back. I think they will go the Salvation Army.


One bright spot is an unexpected gift from the collective universe I received when I was pulling apart an old frame to pitch. Underneath an unwanted picture of my alma mater someone bought me at a thrift store years ago.... was the above poster by Eve of two of her Big Eyed girls with their record player! The edges were a little warn but overall the poster is in good shape and I intend to reframe it. I used to collect Maio Girl portraits (also big eyed) and posters. I have a few framed ones up in the house. The Maio Girl on the right hangs here in my computer room. I think they are cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish there were a national junk day. I guess there sort of are mini celebrations across the country all year long, actually: yard sales.