Monday, October 6, 2008

A New Earth- Eckhart Tolle


Let me first say this is not a book that you just read straight through and expect to grasp it all as you would a light fiction novel. I struggled through the first half of the book and then I got about midway and that's when it began to speak to me. Mind you, it is not a lot of new ground for someone familiar with books of similiar themes... for example--controlling the ego, or living in the present moment. There are some practical suggestions in the book.... and it is worth using it as a guide or at least a reminder to stop and let the world unfold as it is, and quit hallucinating through your life... living for some future that may never happen, or waddle in past mistakes, that keep you from living in the NOW.
-
I learned something from this book. I learned that we don't see a lot of things as they really are because our own thoughts about them get in the way. Familiarity with something makes it worse. In the book the author says some people feel more alive when they visit foreign countries... because their senses heighten. PERCEPTION takes up more of their consciousness than their thinking.
-
I'll buy that. We all think too much. We all "label" too much. The point is... it causes great suffering and misunderstanding. And I say it leads to a great deal of miscommunication...and to an unauthentic experience. A made up in your head way of looking at the world, instead of seeing it... or seeing someone .... for who they really are inside: A soul with a common purpose.
-
True communication with one another... the bonding that you feel instantly,without words, the joy that you feel when you are understood-- there is no need to label it or to try to understand it. To me that joy is a great starting point for peace.

I also liked the part about bringing joy Into what you do...don't expect to get joy OUT of what you do. And if you can't bring joy into it... move on. Do something else.
As Pollyanna as that sounds there is a lot of sense in it.

Finally, for someone looking for their life's purpose... the book offers an interesting perspective that made me look at my own purpose in a different light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on, MJ.
Rock on, Tolle.