Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Favorite Apple


This is a subject of which I never gave much thought. But some people do. I can remember a guy I worked for 15 years ago who told me his favorite apple is Granny Smith. I can't remember his name as quickly as I associate him with that apple. Strange.


Some people like certain apples to cook with, or make pies or tarts with, but I don't do any of those things so it comes down to an apple I really just like to eat.


As of today, my favorite apple is called Empire. It's a cross between Macintosh and Red Delicious. I am not a big apple eater, and by virtue of the fact I ate three of them in the past few days...this apple is special. Last year I went through a Honey Crisp phase, but it seems the word is out and this apple sells pretty fast and is only available a short time each year.


Empire is not too small, and not too big. It's crisp... but not juicy or messy. It cuts well. You can chew the skin without feeling that you have to spit it out.

I have to get more.

1 comment:

Suki said...

Would you believe I have this conversation with some regularity? My list: Gala and Braeburn. Used to love Granny Smiths but burnt out on them. Hate Red Delicious. Hate mealy apples. Enjoyed the Honey Crisps last year but am back on the standards: Gala and Braeburn. There.