Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, May 3, 2009


The Kentucky Derby came and went. The most exciting two minutes in sports. This year when all eyes were on the "favorites" a cowboy riding a 50 -1 longshot found his opening and beat them all. My money went to the favorites this year... along with a few odd picks based on everything from college dorm room numbers to favorite names. Funny, I went to the OTB with 62 dollars in bets (collecting neighbor's bets as well) and NOT ONE TICKET out of the bunch had that longshot #8. Not even in a trifecta pick, let alone a Superfecta.


The Superfecta (4 horses) paid a half million dollars. Holy Horse Puckey! I wonder how many tickets were sold? A half a million dollars is a life changing number for me. I know that seems like chump change in this age of billionaire bonuses and massive bailouts. But imagine if yesterday I had picked those four numbers handed over my 2 bucks and... wow.


No comments: