Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, August 9, 2009


Musing about a lot of things this morning. I saw some footage from Woodstock on TV since it is the 40 year anniversary. Everyone looked so young and dirty. And happy.
And stoned.

Nice to see Levon Helm still around and singing. He'll perform at the anniversary concert. Always loved The Band. Levon had his setbacks, and yet continues on... even has a new CD out.

Janis Joplin performed at Woodstock. Hard to imagine Janis in her mid 60s now, had she lived. Would she still be performing? Would she have worn a wig or grown long gray hair? Who knows. Aging tattoos on wrinkly skin is never a pretty thing, either. But Janis was never about "pretty." It was about the voice. Her soul.

I was at Walmart this morning. Lots of cheaply made Peace shirts, or ones with butterflies and little slogans on them. Little wispy 1960's type shirts, and embroidered-look jeans on the racks. Marketing Peace? Retro trends?


I can remember actually embroidering my own jeans. A Peace sign one pocket and a heart on the other. And I had a picture of Donovan and got this gooey Tee-shirt maker "transfer" medium to make my own shirt. He was backwards on it but it didn't matter. You could still recognize him. I loved it.
-
My friend Anthony gave me the Tee Shirt above. I never wore it, because I was afraid to wash it.
-
The past has a way of washing away.
-

You can't repeat the past. Recapture the magic.
You have to create your own.

No comments: