Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday Morning Sunrise


The sun just started to peak at me through the window and it is another Saturday morning. I take for granted the view I have because I've lived here so long, but it really is a beautiful horizon as I peer out and see the east side hill over the river. The wide bridge over the river, the rows of little homes on the other side staggering up the hill...and in the middle...the steeple of the old Polish church. The trees have lost their leaves now and the sun is a very bright glowing orb causing spots in my eyes if I look off the edge of the computer screen. With the west side hill behind me I never see the sunset. Unless I am out somewhere.
-
Yesterday it snowed...the first snow with any covering power. I felt sudden sadness. Is this it? Is the long winter here now...no more color? Thankfully today, no snow. What few leaves remain on the Japanese maples out front still cling and the piles of leaves underneath are still there. It looks like fall again. Even if it isn't prime. Like the woman of a certain age with fading hair color, just before it turns all gray. Suki says November in Atlanta is like October here. Beautiful.
-
I was looking at pictures of 30 celebs who are aging with grace. To their credit most look believable when they say they aren't going the botox route or attempting to turn back time with some surgery or other creative means. I can't ever see myself doing that. My favorite of the bunch has got to be Julianne Moore. She is exuberant and her inner beauty shines through. Helen Mirren is amazing. But I admit seeing Lauren Hutton startled me a bit. More like a wake up call to me that time is moving on, because my mental image of her is forever in 1980 with Richard Gere. American Gigolo. Sheesh. A long time ago.
-
Well, on that happy note, I think I'll go look at the clouds in my coffee...and try to remember just how old Carly Simon is these days. Then again maybe I won't.

No comments: