Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, November 13, 2011

Sunday morning bluejay frenzy at the house. Each day, as predictable as the sunrise itself, at least 10 peanuts are put on the stump and the birds know this. Ten peanuts for 10 birds. I suspect it never gets divided up that way. I should take a video, because within five minutes they show up en mass...swooping and diving. Here are just two.
-
A big blackbird got shut out. He didn't get the message, apparently, that you have to move fast or lose out.
-
Birds are family here. Woodpeckers on the suet. Finches and sparrows at the bird feeder. Eight turkeys in the woods near the dump this week. Someone said wild turkey really isn't worth the trouble to eat. The birds taste better from the store. Who'd pluck it anyway?
-
I confess I am someone who has a disconnect when it comes to food sources versus what is on the table. Sometimes I look at a McNugget and wondered where the chicken came from. Really. Then I realize they are Processed Meat...that is meat mixed with other stuff and bent and mixed into the form that is needed. Much like the McRibs. (follow this link at your own peril. You may never eat one again.)Then I wonder how many chickens are really in a McNugget? And what else is in there?...and then I don't want to think anymore. I just dip it in the honey sauce and eat it.
-

No comments: