Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, May 20, 2012

It's a wonderful Sunday morning with the sun rising over the city and the promise of an 87 degree day. I spent most of yesterday outside weeding and watering and "supervisoring" the porch painting job, while sitting in the sun sampling the newly labeled Straub Amber, which is supposed to be the repackaging of Straub Special Dark. According to the web site, the "dark" label was misleading because it is really an amber beer. 

Contributors at Rate Beer seem to agree with that. I do, too. I always felt it wasn't a dark beer.  I don't really like dark beers. They just taste bad. Even the phrase "acquired taste" doesn't seem to apply here. I think people just get themselves determined to drink it, and then do it out of habit. To show that they drink dark beer. Like it is a big deal. Like they are not part of the "common class" anymore that plops down and orders a Coors light and keeps them coming. Hmm. Not that I really care or anything. 

Unless they were born to it like the Irish who are known for drinking their Guinness. Maybe they really do like it.

Had a good discussion with the postman about beer. He is way more into beer than I am, but I tried to keep up while he rambled off names of all the beers he has tried. He likes Blue Moon, and various ambers and lagers from all over.I lost track. You can pick up six packs now at different places, including grocery stores who are stocking even more unusual beers.  It is strange how beer drinking as evolved.  I wonder what my Iron City drinking grandfather would have had to say about all this fuss over beer? 

Neighbor Al was watching with interest the mounting pile in my wheelbarrow. "What are you gonna do with that?"

I was puzzled. The wheelbarrow?  The weeds/sod/rocks?

Al is a packrat and doesn't let anything go to waste. Now he wants my wheelbarrow full of stuff to "fill holes" in his yard. Ya know, I never thought of that. I have plenty of holes to fill. Stump rot, mole damage, that sort of thing. But I'll give it all to Al. I don't really feel like taking on another project today. 

It's gonna be too hot.



No comments: