Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, May 27, 2012


It's gonna be another hot one. 90 degrees? And it is only May. This morning the weather guy on TV mentioned about conserving energy as Ozone levels are up and some people have a lot of trouble with that...breathing problems, coughing, shortness of breath.  On the screen was the usual list of "tips" about not filling your car with gas during the day, reducing vehicle use and lawn mowing.

I remembered last week on a similiar day, listening to a guy on the radio who said, "Who cares? I pay my electric bill! Crank it up baby!  I want that AC on!"  He scoffed at the notion that any of the above "tips" will
do any good at all. Not when you have places like China, he said, who do whatever they want.

Hmmm. If everyone thought like him would the world be a better place? If everyone DID conserve, just a little bit, would the world be a better place?

Seemed simple to me. Think globally, act locally. Our air is so bad here where I live, it is always in the top 10, if not the top 5 of worst particle pollution categories. Maybe it is like a piss in the ocean to try to help a tiny bit by, say, not filling up with gas today, or keeping the AC on 75. But I'm going to do it anyway. It can't hurt.


No comments: