Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, June 10, 2012





It's another Sunday morning. A week gone by. The highlight this week? Cousins from Finland. Amazing how they can communicate in English so well...with personality and humor shining through. My cousins are wonderful, caring people and I am so glad to be able to spend time with them.


I see my grandmother's eyes in Kaisa, and I hear her voice when she speaks Finnish.Grandma has been dead since the mid 1980's and it is strange, yet warm and familiar to look at her and remember. I didn't get much time with grandma...I was the eighth of 9 grandchildren.  And grandma's health started to fail and her mind went. But I remember Sundays at a local Finnish camp, taking saunas and jumping in the river. And I can still remember her delicious coffee bread, and hearing the musical sounding Finnish language conversations she had with my dad.  And I remember her blue eyes.

I hope I can spend more time with them. Perhaps visit the local state park for a nice walk to enjoy the scenery here....and they mentioned they want to see the graves. I like that. I'd be doing the same thing if I went to Finland. 


   

No comments: