Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, October 14, 2012

 

A nice fall Sunday morning. Temps in the 50s, going to 70, rain...later. Time enough to spend outside cleaning up the flower beds, and putting away my little yard toys.  The wind chime collection along the garage roof overhang came down yesterday. And I pulled out the giant balsam, thankfully the seeds were ripe enough to harvest. Wait till next year!  

Yesterday I went to the Friends of the Library indoor yard sale. My first job was at that library when I was just 14 years old.  They paid me $2.35 an hour, because you only qualified for minimum wage if you were 18. I didn't care. It was A JOB. I remember my dad looking at me and saying, do you really want to do this?   You will be working for the rest of your life. Why not wait a bit? 

The job meant freedom. Being away from the house. Among people. Access to the newest books! New friends! I fell in love with libraries from that day on. Later in college I spent 4 more years working in libraries.

I looked around the lecture room with tables of yard sale items and spotted a blender like the one I had in college for two bucks. A green Osterizer. Maybe since I was thinking of college, I bought it.  I don't have a blender. 

I want to write more but I can't for now. The incessant buzz of a train vaccuum is blaring from the train yard down the valley. I have to figure out who to complain to about  this because it is an everyday thing now. No peace this morning.






No comments: