Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Sunday Morning Muse, April 28, 2013




It was supposed to be pretty easy. Buy a TV, plug it in, turn it on.

Not anymore.

Back in the Leave it to Beaver Days it was that easy. Unless you count the time adjusting rabbit ears.

A week, and several dozen attempts to adjust the color from several different screens, and a tangled mess of trying different coax cords, plugging in various other things into it and such, I am left with the task of packaging the whole mess up, taking it back and resigning in defeat.  If there is way to make this TV look as brilliant and vibrant as advertised, I'll be damned if I can do it.

I see now the light pinks and purples on the horizon just before sunrise out my window. I can't help but wonder how this inferior, dull, fuzzy TV would capture the experience.  I hope I get no hassles on the exchange. But wait, I don't want an exchange. I want my money back to go try another. In search of...perfect color.

In Search Of. I just remembered that show. My dad and I used to watch it. BigFoot,  The Swamp Monster...Good Grief, that link I just shared has most of the shows!   Leonard Nimoy narrating. Wow.

A distraction. Okay, moving on. Speaking of old TV shows, Allan Arbus died this week. Sidney Freedman on MASH, he was 95. That puts him in his mid 60's when he was on MASH. I really enjoyed the shows he was in. He played a  psychiatrist who was called in for special cases, and his sense of humor and humanity came through so well, it made it hard to think he WASN'T a psychiatrist in real life. Alan Alda reflected this week that between scenes he would talk to Allan and ask him questions and Allan would say "How would I know? I'm not a psychiatrist!"

I recently saw the episode with the best quote from Freedman ever:  "Ladies and Gentleman take my advice! Pull down your pants and slide on the ice!"

MASH was one of the shows I had on this week when I was futzing with the new TV.  Kinda hard to adjust the color though when so much of the set...and costumes were green. On my TV the faces were green, too.






No comments: