Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, March 15, 2009


I tried the Expresso Fitness bike experience yesterday at the gym. Now, I'll be the first to say that stationary bikes and treadmills bore me to tears, yet I found something compelling about riding this virtual bike and steering it through this imaginary scenic world, all the while watching my calorie count, my milage, my number of miles, my heart rate and I don't know what else ticking away on the screen. I can tell you with certainty that I travelled 3.08 miles in "Fruitdale," I sped away 100 calories during my trip, and kept my heart rate at a decent 137 average for beats per minute.

All and all, I actually sweated, and my ass didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. And I didn't have to pedal back home. All I had to do was stop.

It was....satisfying. Plus, instead of avoiding the "pace" bikers they put on the screen, I made a game of it and crashed into them whenever I could..... making them disappear... Poof! No more staring at THAT ass in front of me. Motivation. Can't do that in the real world.

But it occurs to me the one thing I couldn't do on the bike was..... coast. Isn't that why you pedal real fast in short bursts? So you can coast awhile... pick your hands straight up... feel the breeze...

Hey, next time I'm gonna put a fan somewhere near the bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post.