Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Sunday Morning Muse, June 7, 2009


Musing about a lot of things this week. David Carradine in a closet hanging by a rope in Thailand. Dead. Suicide? Accidental death? Homicide? His body is on it's way back to the States last I heard, and a forensic pathologist will attempt to find answers to the mystery surrounding his death.

A lot can be learned nowadays from scientific evidence. You see it dramatized so often on TV Crime shows, that it seems almost commonplace. The last moments of someone's life no longer left to speculation, but pieced together with tiny shreds of evidence, and blobs of DNA that tell their story to those who know how to investigate them.

I remember my dad watching Kung Fu on TV in the early 70's. I was just a kid, and I don't remember too much, but I do remember that the show was just so different from the Sitcoms and other dramas that were on at the time. They were...lessons.

Yeah, I know that actors play parts. He wasn't Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin Monk. David Carradine, according to Wikipedia, had "Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, German, Spanish, Italian, Ukrainian and Cherokee ancestry."
-
But to me he'll always be Kung Fu.
-

Wikipedia

Part of the appeal of the series was undoubtedly the emphasis laid, via the flashbacks, on the mental and spiritual power that Caine had gained from his rigorous training. In these flashbacks, Master Po calls his young student "Grasshopper" in reference to a scene in the pilot episode:

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?


No comments: