Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, March 11, 2011

  
“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”
- Jack Kerouac

It's Sunday Morning and it's joy and it's fun and it's Seasons in the Sun. Today, a sunny, warm 62 degree day in March. Even the 40 something degree weather yesterday was nice. It's the kind of a day that makes you want to go out and DO something. Even the cat was inspired. During our walk through the yard, she spotted her favorite tree about 25 yards away and took off running. Short of choking the cat to death, I had to take off running with her, which is difficult in a muddy yard with duck shoes on, and she got the best of me and managed to climb up a good 8 feet with leash dangling below her. Some burst of energy for an old cat. 

I looked up at the old Ginkgo tree and wondered why, of all the trees in the yard, she likes that one best. There is a ring around the tree as high as Coco can reach to scratch. My uncle Jack taught me as a kid that Ginkgos are the "oldest" tree. I wondered if that is really true. From what I discovered it is. It's the oldest living tree species on earth. Been around for four thousand years. Used in Chinese medicine.

It's been strange not having a long, cold, miserable winter. As I look at the crocuses coming up already in the yard, and see a few buds on the daffodils, I almost feel like we "got away" with something. Maybe this really is an early spring. Go do something!




No comments: