Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Here We Go Again....



A sad update to report today. My wish that no one in my family be in the hospital at Christmas was short lived. Mom broke a bone in her leg. I'm devastated, as she will need to be in a nursing home for several weeks, and that is if things go well.

Doctor said there are drastic cuts in medicare coverage and one of the results is that there is no money for her rehab. Two years ago we had quite good coverage for rehabilitation when mom was stricken with Transverse Myelitis. The rehab resulted in me bringing her home here for two years. That SAVED money in the system. I just don't get it. Our society needs to do more to help seniors stay in their homes. In the long run it is best for them, and less costly on medicare/medicaid as costs for nursing homes are over 70 thousand dollars a year!

 I know millions of people are struggling with these issues. A lot of caregivers are out there trying to hold down their jobs and take care of loved ones. It's been the biggest but most rewarding challenge of my life. These efforts should get more support, not less.

No comments: