Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Sunday Morning Muse, January 6, 2012

The electric fireplace I bought myself for Christmas arrived safely. It gives my bedroom a sort of ambience that was missing before. Even when you don't run the heater, the unit has a simple flame and ember simulator that just makes you feel warm anyway. Put a mat in front of it and there you go. Instant peace. A nice space to stretch out on the floor and do yoga. But you have to move the cat first.

 I love wood. I got new windows this past week, and managed to salvage some original oak trim from inside the closets to match up what was taken out to put in the windows in. Someday I'll have the floors refinished. For now they are okay.... with a few throw rugs.

 I'm not much of a decorator. Over Christmas I went to visit the man who has my old apartment, and suffice to say his updates to it make me want to move back. Gone is my gold leaf patterned furniture and 90's entertainment stand. Now it's a manly place with overstuffed brown furniture...huge TV on the wall...and a fireplace. One thing  I really miss is still there...the built-in floor to ceiling book shelf with the glass door. I miss that a lot. It was DEEP, too. I could stash so many books and things in there. And then there was the HUGE walk in cupboard under the stairs. I dug stuff out of there when I moved that hadn't been out of a box in 15 years. Including my whole Oil Lamp Collection. I got rid of a lot of that...not that I wanted to. I saved the best stuff. Just nowhere to go with it. Perhaps I'll build some shelves in the garage someday.

 Personal taste comes and goes. Much has to do with the space you have to expand into... or not. Paring down is a hard thing. I'm still at it. But I'm doing it slowly. I'm not going anywhere. For now the color blue...like those eyes you get hung up about...and a lot of wood. That's my inspiration.

No comments: