Saturday, February 2, 2008

Van the Man-- NEW RELEASES and Bad News


We're sorry, this video is no longer available.
-----------------------------------------------------
I'll start with the bad news. I went to look at some concert footage of Van on YouTube and EVERYTHING IS GONE. Seriously. Gone. All the neat bootlegs, rare concert footage, and really cool stuff that we could all enjoy for free on YouTube.... GONE. One of the few joys in my life.... prior to that all I had was a few "traded" CD-R's.... some 3rd and 4th generation Videos that aren't really that watchable..... and now all the stuff I just started to enjoy.... Gone.

I read that Van/Polydor had a copyright infringement problem with them and poof! Happened, near as I can figure... about 3 weeks or so ago.


Don't they realize that it was free advertisement?..... And enjoyment for the real fans out there WHO BUY EVERYTHING HE MAKES ANYWAY? I mean, it's not like you can go out and buy concert footage from other countries! And if he actually peformed close to where I live, I'd STILL GO SEE HIM anyway! Sheesh.
----
I admit I panicked a few weeks ago. My "rare" version of It's Too Late to Stop Now... the "live" Double CD from the early 70's that I rave on and on and on about, had been left in the car full time and was looking pretty ragged-- I worried that I might not be able to replace it if it started skipping or simply quit playing anymore. I don't take the best care of things.... I should have copied it immediately and put the originals in a case in a vault somewhere.
-
Well.... Oh Happy Day-- one good thing to talk about. I just found out it was remastered and released THIS WEEK and it can be bought... not for a $100 dollars--used.... but the downright bargain price of $11.97 at Amazon!



Plus.... I was able to pre-order Van Morrison's new release, Keep It Simple--to be released March 11th--- and it is already number 119 in sales. Imagine that. I'M STILL BUYING NEW RELEASES even though YouTube had posted all that old concert footage that you will never make money on. I'm pissed, Van. You've made your money, and are still making it. BRING BACK THE VIDEOS TO YOUTUBE.



UPDATE: I HAVE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART. I have cancelled my Amazon orders and have vowed never to buy another Van Morrison CD again. Turns out Van hired Web Sheriff and has gone after Fan sites, like this one (the Hayward site), a fan magazine, and of course the YouTube stuff, threatening legal action. More reaction to all this that even more clearly states feelings about the YouTube videos.... is located here. So Screw him. He's dissing the fans, now, and I, for one count myself as someone who will boycott his new releases, and will never attend a concert. It's about the money for him now. Not the music. I can't relate to that. Sorry. As a fan of 15 years, who has bought just about every new release, I say, Goodbye Van.
-
The attack on the Hayward site, literally a Bible of your work-- properly annotated and tastefully done, was really the last straw. He did more to promote you and your music for free than you will ever know. Shame on you.

No comments: