Saturday, September 6, 2008

One Billion Dollars!


Last night was the big star-studded event to raise money for the fight against Cancer. It was a huge effort to raise money. The disease touches everyone of us. I was particularly affected last night because yesterday my neighbor, who has battled cancer for months now, passed away just yesterday afternoon. He fought courageously... but in the end time ran out. No cure yet.
-
My dad died waiting for a cure... 10 years ago. Believing if he could just hold on... stay alive... something would happen. Some of the work studying genes shows promise. Being able to shut off certain genes with defects that lead to specific types of cancer. It is hope. But so much more money is needed for research.
-
It struck me as ironic that on the same day as I'm watching this telethon, I read where the Bush administration pledged one billion dollars...(say it like Doctor Evil ...ONE...BILLION...DOLLARS..... to aid Georgia. (yeah... the one OVER THERE provoking Russia.) Why is my tax money bailing them out? I don't really understand how a billion dollars can be sent there...like writing a check...hey, a billion dollars is still a billion dollars. Why not a billion more for cancer research?

No comments: