Saturday, November 22, 2008

CoCo Update, November 22, 2008


I am so far now from the fear I had of this sad creature on the first day. To think we were ready to trap her and take her away. Maybe even kill her because she was a "threat" to the neighborhood cat and was obviously very sick.

She doesn't have that kind of strength... or teeth, really. She has a mean growl, still... but her meows have become more and more pitiful. More of a conversation with me... all with sad words.

Coco eats four meals a day now. I gained her trust this week. Even stroked her head and felt her body to see if she was okay. She is not. I don't know what horror her life has been these past few weeks but I could feel every rib under that fur. Every nubby on her spine. It made me sad to think how she reached this point, and I'm determined to fatten her up and see what I can do to help her recover.

There is a sweetness to her under all that anguish. I feel bad now for saying that no one would want her. I think she'll make a great human companion once I get her healthy and spayed. She is improving everyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not have slept tonight if I had left that helpless little creature to perish on the ground.
(Reply to friends who chided him for delaying them by stopping to return a fledgling to its nest.)
--Abraham Lincoln, Sixteenth President of the United States