Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, July 31, 2011


Sunday, again. Minutes before sunrise over the city, and I've just enforced a one cat limit on the room here so I don't have to referee my two furry friends fighting for the window.
-
The phone rang yesterday while I was visiting my uncle, and it was a Quinnipiac survey. You take it, he said. And I spent the next 12 minutes answering questions, most of them political...ranging from the debt ceiling to Marcellus Shale. I think they do a pretty good survey, but a few of the questions made me laugh, and I even had to jab at the interviewer a bit for asking them.
-
Michele Bachmann came up a lot. One question dealt with how "the media" handles the health of female candidates versus male. Does the media focus more on women's candidates' health than men's health? Did I hear about Bachmann's migraines? Of course I did. Did I feel this would interfere with her ability to be President? Well.... I wanted to say given, she HAS NO ABILITY to be President, and is a complete imbecile, it probably wouldn't make a difference. But it was a yes or no question.
-
After a series of questions involving how few women congressmen (congress-people?) there are, and how few serve in PA specifically, I was asked if I felt there would be a woman President in my lifetime. Well...hmmm. Perhaps if I live another 40 years....taking that into account, yes, I suppose at some point, we just might elect a woman President. So... yes. Yes is my answer.
(If they were insinuating in any way that perhaps, my thought process is: Michelle Bachmann is a woman, I am a woman, therefore I think we need a woman President, well... I can't go there. You don't necessarily need breasts to be a President, you need BRAINS.)
-
And then the most dubious question of all. Who would make a better President, a man or woman?
-
Really? You are asking me that? C'mon. No... No opinion, really now. This is silly.
-
To be fair, the guy went through a regular list of general questions, too...age, income, party affiliation, who I voted for in the past, opinion on Marcellus Shale...oh yes...tax them to death, make them pay fees, do whatever it takes to protect our environment, I said. That's a no brainer, there. I don't care how "fledgling" these millionaires are portrayed. We have the gas.
Go somewhere else if you don't like our fees. They won't. I am sure of that.
-
The sun is up, now. A beautiful Sunday morning. The type of day that you really don't want to turn the TV on and watch politicians argue about the debt ceiling.
-
So I won't.

No comments: