Friday, August 5, 2011

Jump into the Stream of Consciousness


Been such a long week...unplugged because of the painting project. Didn't really miss the internet as much as I thought I would but caught myself a couple of times wanting to check on something...like why is Jerry Lewis not doing the telethon this year... and what are the new pictures of Lucille Ball that everyone is talking about...and how did Tiger Woods do in Akron this week...and I went into the room and everything is hopelessly unplugged and the desk is covered in plastic and nothing is where it usually is.
-
I wondered about Somalia. Stoic people with deep despair. Famine. Sickness. Death. How many people live there? How many are starving? Why is it like this? Why didn't their society advance and get out of there long ago? Life is just not sustainable there. Was it ever? So many questions.
-
Here, it is the same news everyday. Imbeciles in Congress. It's not the debt, people. It is JOBS.
People need to get off their butts and do something. Seriously. At one end we have the ne'er do wells living off welfare for generations. The other end is the super rich who control a higher portion of the total economy than ever before. And in the middle?
-
Here I am. More concerned about day to day living than any sort of future. The stock market goes up and down and it doesn't affect me...right now. I can pay six bucks for two stuffed cabbages. I have enough gas in the car. I don't owe anyone anything. I don't have much, but it's mine. I have meager investments that go up and down, but it doesn't seem like real money to me right now. Some day it will, but even that is not certain. Nothing in life really is.
-
Neighbors and friends in and out of the hospital this week. A local hospital. In a small town. Struggling with bills. Hospitals struggling with reimbursements. More cuts on the way thanks to the imbeciles in Congress. Communities need these hospitals. Just in the past week...services used by my friends...knee surgery, ER for sun poisoning and exhaustion, kidney problems, radiation treatments, heart related tests. These are real people who need care. We need to streamline costs and get this health care situation under control, so local hospitals are sustainable.
-
Wish I had something good to say. I'll try. My flowers are pretty. Phil Ochs said, in such an ugly time the only true protest is Beauty.


No comments: