Monday, September 5, 2011

Here's that Rainy Day


As much as I love the sun, I love that occasional rainy,even dreary, day. I've got the blinds wide open to try to bring in any bit of daylight into this room and the sky looks like a muddy canvas. I remember in art class one day when the Prof. described my canvas in just the same way. Muddy. It stuck with me.
-
It was an oil painting, and I was painting "sky." But it wasn't a sunny day.I looked at the sky and it had so many shades of color in it, but you couldn't call it blue...I starting mixing black with it to get a dark gray....then more white here and there. The sky looked muddy. It was awful. I needed a good lesson in "painting with a broad brush." Just go with it. Don't fuss over every nuance. Pick a color and go with it...look for lights and darks...squint if you have to in order to see it....but don't fuss.
-
Rainy days are good days for old movies. Good days to clean the basement.Bake cinnamon rolls. Put on a good beef stew. Stuff you don't have time for when the sun is shining in early September.
-
Enjoy the rainy day. And remember....don't fuss.

No comments: