Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, September 11, 2011


I was sitting outside yesterday getting ready to take more pictures of the flowers when I heard a plane overhead. I started snapping the camera from my chair and ended up with this picture of a low flying, rather large lane (looking quite like it would crash into the dolphin chimes but not really.)
-
It brought back to me that day 10 years ago when I was in this very driveway, shortly after the attacks on the Twin Towers, looking up at the sky, and yes, I was quite apprehensive, looking for planes of any sort....and even seeing some overhead. I'll never know what planes they were or what role they may or may not have played that day, but hearing about the one that went down in Shanksville, PA, turned a "far away" event like the Twin Towers...and later the Pentagon...into something too close to home. I thought a lot about what the passengers did that day to bring that plane down. I wondered what they felt in those last minutes knowing their fate. It was a truly horrible day for our country.
-
Seeing planes in the sky that day, and for days and weeks afterward...was cause to stop what you were doing and take a nervous glance upward.
-
After ten years, the nervousness faded back to just curiosity. Like yesterday. Why such a big plane? Why was it flying so low... where is it going? I never thought...could it be a terrorist?
-
So maybe that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Suki said...

Decided to map how far Shanksville is from my farm. 70 miles. Just crazy.