Saturday, October 29, 2011

First Snow and Other Thoughts


The state is getting it's first snowfall today. I have my thoughts on that, which anyone who knows me will likely be able to guess. But I'll not whine and drink wine instead. Later because it is still morning.
-
Mum turns 81 years old today. Survived one year at home on my cooking. I looked up the newspaper from her birthdate, and must say the local paper was far more diverse and entertaining back then. On the front page the headlines ranged from WORKMEN INVADE SILENCE OF EMPTY CLOCK CHAMBER IN STEEPLE...to KIDNAPED(sic)BANKER RETURNS HOME.Also on the front page is a list of "Old" people who got hunting licenses. Among them a 90 year old man.It could be a record, but the paper didn't go as far to check. Just pointed it out to people that it might be so. They also list the "tallest" hunter being from Ellwood. (You had to put your height on your application.)Under a separate heading of GIANT GETS LICENSE we find that the poor gentleman was 6 feet 5 and a half inches tall. "Several" women got licenses, too and that was a big deal because all of their names were printed.
-
The clock story is a gem. The biggest church in town got their new clock on this day in 1930. It can be seen from Everywhere.....it's still there. Now I have to see if it is still keeping good time...It cost $5000 dollars back then.

No comments: