Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Sunday Morning Muse, October 9, 2011


7:22 AM as I start to write this. Looking out the window the sun hasn't come up over the east side hill yet but there is a hint of orange and I heard it is going to be another perfect fall day. Sunshine and warm temperatures...leaves just turning. I found a lot of great spring bulbs at Lowe's so I need to find space for over 70 more tulips and another 50 odd daffodils and mini irises and crocuses. And I'll probably pull up all the old gladioli bulbs in the rock garden and put them in the basement. Last year in the garage they went to mold and I lost a lot of them.
-
As usual nothing is organized.I found about 30 bulbs in the garage I dug up when I planted annuals this year. I pulled out 50 ferns in hopes of freeing up space for them. I figured any old bulbs I have laying around will just go there. Willy nilly. Hope for the best. It will be a suprize. But I suspect there will still be ferns. You never get rid of them. Or ivy. That is another story.
-
Thinking ahead till spring gets me through the dark, confining, and unreasonably long winter. I have gotten to hate snow and cold more and more each year. There have been years where I tempered my remarks about winter (oh it can be pretty sometimes, or snow is nice on Christmas, etc.)...but last winter's heavy snowfalls and horrible ice accumulations turned me off to it completely. Bah. Winter is a barrier to everything I do, making for extra work I don't want. Period.
-
But for now the sun is up, the temperatures are warmer than normal and all is well.

No comments: