Friday, January 6, 2012

Random Things

I've been neglecting my blogging.If only I could harness this brain power... oh well.
-
It's not like I don't do things. Today I watched a clip of Frank Zappa as a young man making experimental type music on a bicycle.  It was 1963 on the Steve Allen Show. You can find it yourself on YouTube if you are so inclined.
-
I also watched a great piece on CBS's Sunday Morning about  Pink Martini. Well done.
-
My interest in politics right now is at an all time low. I don't care which clown wins in New Hampshire. This day to day horse race of Republican politics is boring me to death.You never hear solutions to our problems other than cutting taxes for the rich.  Howzat working so far?  It has not. And the fact that Crazy Rick Santorum, who wants to bomb Iran, and ban birth control, is ahead in the polls, is just bizarro world.
-
The St. Ronnie thing is wearing thin, too. Reagan raised taxes 12 times in 8 years. Makes no sense to me. Seems like they are creating a myth of what they want people to think Reagan was, as opposed to the facts. The Eric Cantor interview on 60 Minutes generated some buzz over that. Also, with regard to war, I agree with those who say that our military can go a long way to preventing bad things from happening but they can't necessarily make good things happen. At some point people who live in a country have to figure it out for themselves. President Bush campaigned on the theme that he was not going to use the military for "nation building."  Yet that is exactly how this whole mess has ended up.
-
Even so, I'm optimistic. The auto industry still exists, the stock market has been up over 12000 for a bit now, a few manufacturing jobs here and there, and some sort of recovery is coming along. I want to see things get better for people.

No comments: