Friday, January 13, 2012

Status Update from the Dead

We mourn for ourselves. I don't know who first said that. But it is very true. We mourn the dead in some very public ways in addition to private ones. Mourning as of late, has taken the form of teddy bears and flowers piled up at homes of murder victims. With the obligatory media coverage and comments for the camera about the person by people who knew them. Facebook pages with comments to the dead like Rest in Peace, we will miss you


 Not that I wouldn't enjoy reading Facebook when I'm dead, but I would hope in an afterlife, should one exist, I'd have more exciting things to do. Being sick the past few days, that's pretty much what I've done.Just lay here, and then get up now and then to check email and Facebook to keep in touch with the world.  Maybe that is what death is like.  Not. Hope not. Anyway. What about all the people who died before Facebook was invented?

I did not set about to write about death today. Actually I was going to write about the flu. I was so sick yesterday that it never occurred to me to take my temperature. Finally in the evening I did and it was 106.
No, I said, something is wrong. It wasn't that high.I'd be delirious. I took it again: 105.  I then thought, I need to test the thermometer.  I took mom's temperature. Fine. I got out another thermometer, digital type, but still oral...  102. Hmmph.

I felt hot, but my brain couldn't be boiling. I took two tylenol and went to bed....with fitful dreams about the
two bites behind my right ear.  Spider bites? Wait, do stink bugs bite?  Am I too sick to get out of bed and Google "do stink bugs bite." Maybe some rare thing bit me and my temp really is that high! Yikes.
-
Eventually sleep came. I woke up and took my temp again. 100.6,  and I realized that I was reading the thermometer wrong last night. 100 POINT 6.  Delirious anyway. Goofy woman.
-
I'm on the road to recovery. First I have to look up stinkbugs. But it's probably the flu.

No comments: