Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, December 23, 2012




I hate wrapping Christmas presents. This is something pretty much everyone knows about me. This morning I am looking at a mountain of presents and wrapping paper and bags and...a cat in the middle of that somewhere. I put it off thinking the world would end and I didn't want to use my time wrapping gifts that wouldn't be opened anyway.

So now I face this task.

Oh some people put so much joy into it. I have gotten gifts that are meticulously wrapped. Even, tight
corners.... colorful bows....even the printing on the paper matches up on the bottom somehow keeping the pattern just right. Those presents are never from me. I put thought into the gift itself, but the wrapping? Not so much. I usually sit on the floor with two cats tearing up tissue paper and fighting over the wrapping rolls... struggling to cut the paper, leaning over it and eventually tearing it and, then just taping it up and folding it over somehow and making it work. I bought bows, but I don't know where they are.

One time at a wedding shower, the bride to be opened my present and found the empty tape roll inside the
bowls I bought her.

Speaking of tape I have 4 rolls of mostly used up tape from last year. I started with one roll and probably lost it, started another, used most of it.....started another...and here I am a year later.

That said, gift bags are the answer for me. But somehow, it takes all the anticipation out of opening the gift. I remember I had this friend...one of THOSE PEOPLE, the meticulous ones....who not only carefully wrapped and hermetically sealed the edges and put a tight ribbon and bow on the package, but also TAPED THE BOXES shut with a million  little pieces of tape. It took like 10 minutes to open the gift.

When it takes that long to open a gift it better not be socks.




No comments: