Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, December 30, 2012





It is the end of another year. Just for fun I compiled a Top 12 List of Goosepath posts. I picked out some of my favorite quotes from each month of the year.  Here goes:



JANUARY -  The bad news is I have freakin' chickenpox.  It stings and hurts and itches and I feel terrible. And everyday it is getting worse. I imagine myself as one of those poor waifish orphans in the time of the plague in Londontown,  languishing alone in some dreary basement flat. Daily growing more disfigured. 

FEBRUARY - THIS is reality television. The trials and tribulations of the entire world dumped into our livingrooms...as we mull over Superbowl squares and munch on snacks and drink cold beer.  A strange juxtaposition. The battles of good and evil, right and wrong, man versus weather....that'll still be there tomorrow. For today...it's chicken! 

MARCH-  My frustration with all the rhetoric out there is dragging me down. I get emotional and partisan and want to use four letter words and really lambaste people and make my points in capital letters. Hardly conducive to writing a civil post and putting out thoughts worth reading.

But I'll keep working at it.


APRIL- You see, they are mostly all "flat" graves, and they mow around them. It makes life easier for the living.But you don't really get to honor the dead. I stick plastic flowers in there for dad, but I don't feel really good about it. From the road it looks like every other vase with a plastic flower in it.


MAY -  This is where it got kind of far out to me, when the author attempted to remote heal her cat's kidney problems by imagining herself filtering the cat's blood. (Since I know you will never read this book, I'll give you the spoiler. The little cat wasn't healed, but he did fare pretty well in his last few months.)

JUNE - While the IV bag was dripping fluid in me, I laid there and thought of people dying in wilderness. (I'd seen too many cowboy movies lately) What a miserable death it would be to die of dehydration.You and your horse out there on the Conestoga trail.  Out of water. Nowhere to go. The canteen dry. Hmmph.  Then I started thinking of the POW's, in far off lands, way back when, sitting in prisons, dependent on their captors for the basics of life.....food,  water.... I was not in good shape.

JULY- Can you keep your sole by wrapping it with furnace tape? Zen again...I glanced up at him. For a split second, I think he considered it.

AUGUST - Ate some fudge. Admired the new style fancy chicken coops (with windows and shutters and a gabled roof). Sat on a bench for a while and saw far too many ugly tattoos. Why Why Why do people do that to themselves? Am I judging people or just expressing an opinion? Probably both.

SEPTEMBER - I remember an old friend who used to pick the same sheepshead mushroom off the same tree every year. I tried some once on a steak. It was tough and not really that great. I couldn't get the sight of the bugs floating down the drain when he cleaned it out of my head either. 

OCTOBER - Living in a Swing State means that you can't watch TV without your blood pressure going up because of all the war commercials.  The War on Coal, The War on Women, The War on the Catholic Church, etc. You don't really hear much about the REAL war though. Go Figure. I'm sick of the hyperbole. Let's just get this over with. But then it's onto The War On Christmas season... Santa versus Jesus. Maybe they could debate. It would be better than anything on TV right now. 

NOVEMBER -  The combination of chocolate and coffee is a drug itself. One year for Xmas I got Chocolate spoons. A simple concept really. Plastic spoons dipped in chocolate and hardened. Then you stir your coffee with it and it slowly melts....and you keep licking the spoon.  Oh my. 

DECEMBER - As we all continue to get ready for the holidays, let's remember it is really not about giving an IPAD or a Smartphone to your kid even when you can't afford it. It's about love.

What do you say?  You say, I love you. To your kids, to your family, to anyone who means something to you.  And you appreciate those bonds that tie us together, and you remember the ones whose holiday was shattered.... for years to come, by a madman with a gun.


No comments: