Saturday, May 5, 2007

Just Horsin' Around


I'll probably never get rich on horseracing. But every year I try, as I go through each horse in the Kentucky Derby and make my picks. After 10 years of this, I know a couple of things:


1. I can spend 3 hours reading the race forms and handicapping the race, and in the end, playing my lucky numbers would have put me further ahead.


2. The Tony Soprano method -- (seeing your daughters name on a horse in the race) is also

an effective betting method. Many a bet has been won simply by a serendipity-type hunch like this. As a matter of fact, that is the first thing I do. Glance over the whole list.... clear my mind completely, and see what name "jumps out at me."


3. My personal history, is out of a race of 20 horses, I can narrow down the field well, but where I lose is how I bet. So this year I intend to pick a few horses and box them, wheel them, do anything I can to make sure that if the horses I like win or come in the money, I will have the
proper bet to cover it.


4. Also, as a final note. It is always prudent to pick a horse at the last minute that is a longshot and throw a couple of dollars on it. A long shot ( 50 - 1) won in 2005 and the superfecta paid
$10,000 dollars.

No comments: