Monday, May 21, 2007

Slouching Toward Bethlehem?

I talk to myself a lot. I'll admit that. So as I watched Second Coming, (this week's episode of The Soprano's) this Little Voice in my head kept nagging at me.... The Second Coming? So... who is our Savior here? Can he wrap this up in two more episodes?





M.J.: Well... it must be Tony... right? He said he... "Get's It." He told Dr. Melfi, "All I can say is, I saw, for pretty certain, that this, everything we see and experience, is not all there is."



Little Voice: Somehow I don't think this is leading to his repentance. And just what does all
this gibberish mean as Tony rambles on? "Maybe...This is gonna sound stupid, but I saw at one point that our mothers are the bus drivers. They are the bus. They are the vehicle that gets us here. They drop us off and go on their way. They continue on their journey, and the problem is, we keep trying to get back on the bus. Instead of just letting it go. "




M.J.: Livia Soprano, rest her soul. That horrible, nagging, guilt machine of a mother. I wonder what path this show would have taken, had she lived?







Little Voice: What about the Poem? Any clues to how the show will end there? (They teach College students this? haha). In the poem William Butler Yeats warns us that:




"Things fall apart...The centre cannot hold...Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,...The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere..The ceremony of
innocence is drowned."






M.J.: Aha! It's entropy! Just as I said after the last episode. Things fall apart. That is it. Nothing Gold Can Stay. This show is not going to end on a happy note, no matter who slouches into Bethlehem. But I can end this post on a happy note. How about MY favorite Yeats poem?

( P.S. I learned it in College!)




A DRINKING SONG




Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and I sigh.






No comments: