Friday, July 13, 2007

Latest Harry Potter Movie---Not a Lot of Laughs. . .








Because this is serious stuff.



And it's dark and scary. Valdemort is back and the Ministry is in denial or cover up mode, you can't be sure which, and Harry starts teaching his friends how to defend themselves against evil with some pretty neat commands that I myself wish I could use in everyday life.






The character who plays the most pivotal role in this movie is Delores Umbridge, dressed in pink, played brilliantly by Imelda Staunton. After reading the novel, author Stephen King, in Entertainment Weekly, called the character "the greatest make-believe villain to come along since Hannibal Lecter."

I enjoyed the movie as a casual Harry Potter book reader, but since I am not a fanatic, I can't sit here and point out what was or wasn't in the book or what was left out. As a side note, I thought the Luna Lovegood character, actress Evanna Lynch, was right on target. That little girl, though she had a small part, was memorable. Just quirky enough to be cute...in a "Wednesday Addams" from the Addams Family kind of way. You sense an intelligence and depth in her.

There's a lot of stuff going on in the movie... so if you hadn't seen the last one recently or read the book in awhile you may be a bit lost at times.

As for the end.... well the saga continues... we all know that. The last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, comes out July 21st.

4 comments:

J.T. said...

With her default creepy Stepford-smile and penchant for torture, am I the only one who saw Umbrage as a cross between Laura and George Bush?

M.J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.T. said...

These things just come to me. As they say, there's no "off" position on the Genius Switch!

Also, I think it's Deathly "Hallows". :)

M.J. said...

You are correct.... as in Hallowed Be My Name! :) (old Alice Cooper song....I couldn't resist.)