Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Sunday Morning Muse, July 8, 2007


A woman watches her body uneasily, as though it were an unreliable ally in the battle for love.-Leonard Cohen

There's a commercial on TV where this nervous woman puts on an itsy-bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini for the first time after months of dieting. It's kinda sweet really, to see her embarrassed-- pulling this beach raft around her thighs, hiding herself at first, and then... in one moment of daring, sit there for all to see, eating her yogurt. It's a great commercial. But I still won't eat yogurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What bugs me about that commercial is that it wrecks my childhood memories of that song.

The bathing suit I envisioned as a kid had yellow polka dots. White background, yellow polka dots. You know, like the song says: "yellow polka dot bikini." They don't sing, "She wore an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny yellow with freaking red polka dot bikini."

So I hate the commercial.