Monday, July 30, 2007

Old Records, Old Friends




Maybe I've held on to my youth longer than some. I've got all of the record albums I managed to accumulate in my life since Donny and Marie were popular. Pop, disco, new wave, rock, classic rock, lounge music, blues, soul, novelty, Christmas music, country music, polkas and even a few movie soundtracks. I found stuff I didn't know I had.... The question is.... what am I gonna DO with them all?







I pared down my 45's, at least. Gave away most back in the early 90s... down to about 50 or so now. Yes, I had Alice Cooper's Eighteen. Stolen from my sister, I think.








But these albums.... I flip through some of them, and can remember where I was when I got them. Or I find myself singing lyrics I hadn't thought of in 20 years. Remembering how it felt to have the world ahead of me. Or when all I wanted was a car...and a cassette player.


I keep thinking maybe someday I'll have a real music room in my big house I plan to buy when I'm rich. I'll frame some of the album covers that haven't completely fallen apart--- and won't they look great on the walls! The Stones, Queen, Jethro Tull, Janis Joplin, Donovan, Elton John, Billy Joel, Alice Cooper, Cher, Three Dog Night.




I don't play them now. They are worn out. Crackly. I have a turntable, but rarely use it.


I asked friends what to do. One gave away her albums years ago, seemed suprized I still was lugging that stuff around... move to move. Another fellow offered to put them on Ebay for me. Neither seems right. To me it would be as painful as giving away family photographs. It sounds a bit odd, but that's how I feel.



So, back in the crates they go. I suppose they will be staying awhile longer.

No comments: