Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Absolute Last Word on the Sopranos



Remember the big deal about the last scene of the last show of the Sopranos when the screen
went black at the end?

David Chase, the executive producer of The Sopranos, has"broken his silence" ---giving an interview to the AP and it caused a stir last week. Some people are using it to justify Tony not being dead. I say.... HORSE PUCKEY.


If you read the whole thing, it is quite obvious to me that he is doing what Judge Judy calls 'pot stirring.' Whether you choose to believe Tony is dead, or you do not, there are certainly no
explicit or implicit answers in this interview, as I see it.

So... what now? I say the bleak and inconclusive ending was NOT appropriate. If he wanted to give us "life goes on," he would have. He did not, and if he thinks he did, it was pretty lame. If cutting off the scene with the onion rings and going to black meant "life goes on" to him, well, I didn't get it. The range of choices for "life goes on" is staggering. This choice wasn't the best.


That said, the ending some fans like myself believe in, that he indeed is dead, is actually a more brilliant and interesting interpretation. I think he should take credit for it, even if the "da Vinci code-type meanings" were unintended on his part. (which I doubt)
-
But he is selling a book now. And the pot stirring gets people talking.
-
And talking people generate interest in buying books.

No comments: