Saturday, October 20, 2007

Happy Sweetest Day



Before you click past and do what I normally would do.... mutter "Hummph! It's just another made-up holiday to keep the greeting card companies in business!".... hear me out.

I have a new respect for Sweetest Day. It began in 1922 in Cleveland,
Ohio--- the brain child of a man who worked for a candy company and wanted to give candy and gifts away to orphans and shut-ins, and people who were forgotten.

See Theda here?


She was a movie star back then. Jumped on this idea right away.... giving out 10,000 boxes of candy to people in hospitals and to those who came to watch one of her films at the Playhouse Square Theaters in Cleveland, Ohio.

My point is..... do something for someone! I know the holiday has morphed into a silly greeting card thing. Or a 'young couples" thing with the dinner for two or the "splash" package at some Holiday Inn, but it doesn't have to be that way.

And if you are alone... be nice to your cat. It'll do, until my "Cat Day" idea catches on.... but I digress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it. I wish I had read this before the date was over. It gives a whole new meaning to the day. Will keep it in mind for next year. It's really, well, "sweet."

Anonymous said...

If you'd have remained in Mercer you may have gotten a sweetest day card at least!