Saturday, November 24, 2007

Naked Beowulf 101


When I agreed to go see Beowulf, the only thing I knew about the movie was what I remembered from the epic poem we studied in High School English Class:
-
* Beowulf kills Grendel and Grendel's mother gets revenge.
-
This didn't add up to much for me, but I went anyway. The digitally enhanced Beowulf.... a barely recognizable Ray Winstone with six pack abs, embodied everything a superhero should be. And he faught Grendel naked. Grendel's Mother? A very recognizable, and naked, Angelina Jolie. What brought the hideous monster Grendel-- an evil super-ugly, bloody gory pus filled wretch of a creature-- to the new Mead hall? Sounds of boisterous, lustful, drunken men partying with busty, drunken women.
-
Do you see the pattern here?
-
Perhaps if all the boring high school literature classes could be modified to include naked superheroes with computer generated monsters to fight, more kids would learn the classics. I say that in jest. Don't take the kids to this one.

No comments: