Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Sunday Morning Muse, November 25, 2007


I spent most of yesterday trying to talk myself out of buying an IPOD. This whole shopping frenzy is starting to get to me. My whole voluntary simplicity lifestyle seems on the back burner.

My thoughts were full of reasons to justify buying one. I don't want to be left behind by technology do I? Besides, I really NEED one.... I RUN, now, and running without something sticking out of your ears blasting digital music is almost like running naked. Or worse...running with antique headphones and a cassette player clipped to your pants. Yikes.

I asked my hairdresser. If you were to buy an MP3 player, what would you buy? Sheesh, if I had known the conversation that would result from that.... well let's just say next time in a bar I'm going to use it as a pick up line because EVERYONE has opinions on this subject and are willing to chime in. People in the shop even piped up to offer suggestions. He even brought out two examples of them to show me that he stood in line for to buy on Black Friday. Then proceeded to enlighten me about the features of each.... 500 songs... 5000 thousand songs, video screens.... etc....

Then I realized something. I really don't WANT an IPOD or MP3 player. I just THOUGHT I did. I don't want to download 5000 songs. I don't even want to listen to music while I run. If I'm bored there is a TV to stare at at the Gym, people beside me to talk to, provided I can talk while I'm gasping for air as I tend to do, and at home, I really have NO USE for it right now.

Saying that, there will come a time, when I'll change my mind. And if someone buys me one, well, I'll certainly learn to live with it.

No comments: