Saturday, November 10, 2007

Remembering Dad on Veteran's Day


My dad served in the Navy near the end of World War II. That's him with the Argus Camera. He was always fumbling with cameras.
-
Dad never talked about the Navy much. Lots of the returning veterans kept their experiences to themselves. He served in the Pacific Theater. I don't believe he was in any serious action. I have pictures of when he went through the Panama Canal, a few pictures of his Navy buddies, and perhaps one fading story about the time he came to the aid of a poor little dog onboard ship who became seasick.
-
Even though he never said much, he was proud of his service. He wore his Navy ball cap to cut his grass, and he was a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
-
I miss dad. Next year will be 10 years since he passed on. I once kidded with him that he looked like a girl with his blond curly hair and blue eyes in that sailor suit. I wish now maybe I hadn't of said that.

No comments: