Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Sunday Morning Muse, March 23, 2008



My cousin from Ohio said her church doesn't bless Easter baskets anymore. It's kinda sad that traditions like that are being lost. When I was a kid, Easter baskets were blessed at a special ceremony on Easter Saturday. It was a chance to see what all the other kids were getting for Easter, and snoop around your own basket when mom wasn't looking.

I remember the old ladies would have wicker baskets with cotton cloths on top of their homemade Easter breads and meat and eggs. They'd pull the cloth aside as the priest went by with his holy water flying from some sort of thing on a handle he carried.

Mine was always a store bought Easter basket… wrapped in purple plastic. I worried that it wouldn’t get any holy water inside it and therefore my blessings would be voided somehow. Maybe that’s what is wrong with me. My food has never been properly blessed.

Funny how kids think.
-
Happy Easter!

No comments: