Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...


Doing anything different these days to cut costs? I read this today. It talks about how people are buying more fuel efficient cars... cutting back on groceries.. fixing shoes even.... instead of buying new ones, etc.
-
As I sit and think about it.... my big change is that I say NO to myself a lot more. You see, I've got it easy. I answer to no one, so if I want to buy something I buy it. I want a new computer. But... I never did spend my "stimulus" check on it as planned. I'm sure there will be a tipping point... like when this computer scares me enough with it's slowness.... or gets a virus or something.... and I'll have to open the wallet. But... not just yet.
-
I tried to "eat off the land," a bit. It's not working out. I picked lettuce from the garden.... blueberries, and greenbeans. The timing is all wrong for a really great salad. The celery didn't come up.... and peppers are still weeks away from being ready. How did people eat a decent salad way back when? So I bought peppers. And borrowed some carrots. It's a start. Spent three dollars on my favorite salad dressing. :(

I've also tried to "live off the pantry" a bit more. There's always a forgotten box of rice or can of soup to eat. Frozen veges are always in my freezer, thoughI should put dates on them. I remember these old friends of mine had a world war two era top-lift-type freezer in their basement. They were quick to use the stuff frozen on top.... but to DIG TO THE BOTTOM just didn't happen. When they finally cleaned out the thing... I believe they found elderberries from like 1983.

One other thing I did was take over 90 dollars in coins to the Coin Machine thing at the grocery store. What a ripoff.... they take like 8.9 cents on a dollar for a "fee." So I was out 8 bucks! I justified it by not having to count it all myself. I'm worth 8 bucks. Easy. And I now have over 80 dollars that was previously on my closet floor in a bag, in my pocket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been leaning on the pantry, myself. Not sure how I'm going to work through all of those cans of chili beans. But we'll figure something out. Also, I refuse to buy new books now. I'm leaning heavily on the library for books and even videos.