Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Sunday Morning Muse, July 8, 2012



Today is the day we get a reprieve from the hot weather. It is only going to be 85 degrees. (Everything is relative I guess.) The oppressive heat of the last few days (94 on porch yesterday)led to a big increase in perspiration but also a huge decrease in inspiration. There I times I was content with doing nothing at all. Just open a book, sit my butt down, and banish any thoughts of yard work, messing with with flowers, painting the porch, cleaning out the garage, washing the car, or doing much of anything  really.

Not like me at all. 

So I'm trying to look at it as a recharge of batteries. Time to let go of the stress of life. Rest, peace, enjoying what I have instead of fussing over rearranging and taking care of things. Just details, after all.

But with "better" weather coming my thoughts today turn to reigniting the match. Inspiration....literally "in spirit." Where will that spirit to get back at it...whatever "it" is, come from? What inspires you?

If I had to answer that one, I'd have to say seeing others do good work inspires me. Even something as simple as watering the flowers. I coveted my neighbor's new "watering wand" gadget for their hose. The spray of water on the extended wand with a shower head on the end was perfect for hard to reach spots, baskets and such. Efficient in ways that my leaking nozzle that didn't shut off anymore could ever compete with. A dozen settings, water amount adjuster, nice bicycle type squeeze handle. 

The neighbors were having "fun" watering, whereas I was like an old mule hauling water from the rain barrel up on the hill,(empty now, anyway,) or worse yet, battling the bad nozzle, getting soaking wet everytime and wasting all that water. I need the new watering wand. In fact, I deserve it. I grew most of these flowers from seed, and this is the hottest summer, in almost ever....and may even be the LAST summer if you believe the Mayans...

There ya go. Now I'm inspired. I got the new watering wand. It has all kinds of water spray settings and it reaches baskets without me struggling with water jugs. It saves on water because it actually does shut off. It's gonna pay for itself in a year or so with all that saved water.

And yes, it is kind of fun with it's squeeze handle, a nice spray, a good soak...and that intense Jet setting....take dead aim. My personal blaster.

No comments: