Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Not Just Silly Pranks, Teens and Talking Parrots


I've been spending a lot of time on YouTube lately. Now, I know you are thinking, this woman doesn't have a life if she is sitting in a dark room in front of a computer, in this sweltering heat, in front of the fan, watching videos of a stupid roommate prank and some goofy Leprechaun siting. Well, I've done that, but... and here's the thing.... there is sooo much more than that.

Let me explain. For years now I have been part of this sub-culture trading these grainy second and third generation videos of various recording artists...whether it is TV shows that aired in other countries, or concerts and videos that simply were not available anywhere at all, other than if you knew someone. Just because we loved them. It was an enormous effort by those involved. And I give sincere thanks to my friends...-- and you know who you are.


But now this stuff is OUT THERE for the world. A simple YouTube search will call up Leonard Cohen's Closing Time, or Van Morrison with Bob Dylan doing Crazy Love... Janis on the Dick Cavett Show, or... my latest find... a 1964 clip of Donovan singing Catch the Wind! ... I would never have seen something like this one ever, if it hadn't been for YouTube. And that is why it is so great. I encourage everyone, if you haven't explored there, to do it.


You may just find something that strikes a chord in you.

and... PS ....the Leprechaun Sighting is pretty funny too if you are into goofy things. Over 3.8 million hits so far there BTW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just watched the leprechaun thing. They've made a rap video in honor of the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZfyrIPw3wY