Monday, June 18, 2007

Possibly My Last Sopranos Post


ASK NOT FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS...

I am officially lining up with the Tony is Dead camp. I may even spring for the bumper sticker... at TonyisDead.com . In the mean time, I looked at the Zapruder tape, which is a frame by frame disection of the last moments, and also read the analysis there. Some of it is way out -- a little too much analysis even for me to accept without a debate, but most of it, I believe is right on. Most of what I hang my hat on is the sequence of "Tony's perspective" camera shots in the restaurant, and the timing of when it all goes to black. He heard the bell...and nothing else. Never heard the bullet. Never saw Meadow walk in. No more perspective. No audio, Nada. Dead. A deliberate 10 seconds of black. Not a gimmick, not a red herring. Not a fade to black- happy ending. It hits you like an anvil. The Member's Only Man killed him. Who is he? We'll never know. A motive? Don't really need one there. Any Way We Want It. The Mobster rules governing hits, get broken all the time. Tony hurt a lot of people, and had enemies. That is enough for me. Despite whatever truce he put together, he continued to be edgy. Always aware of his surroundings. That is his life. Always was. With good reason.


Plus, I went back and looked. Yes, he was eating an orange when he went to the Spec house to see Carmela. We know what happens when Oranges appear. (The link has all the Oranges in The Godfather.) I just love that touch. A tribute? Likely. For a laugh, you have to see this YouTube video... Godfather, Sopranos Style. Just click it. And also, incase you haven't seen it, the Pirate Parrot version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are officially wrong. Tony is not dead! Knew it.

M.J. said...

Hate to be so untactful, but TONY IS STILL DEAD.

Clerk,
St. Peter's Office