Saturday, January 29, 2011

Making Meatloaf and Pondering Food



It's hard to believe I've lived on this planet so long and never made meatloaf. That changes, today. Can't really get out to buy food, tired of pizza, and I started looking around. Realized that there is actually food here, if someone cares to start putting ingredients together. One has to look at expiration dates, though. The parmesan expired in 2009. Onion flakes will last through a nuclear war. No problem there.
-
Let me just say I haven't been much of a cook. I came from the "heat it and eat it" school of cuisine. But I've watched enough cooking shows on TV that hopefully some of it rubbed off. Meatloaf seems like a can't miss sort of thing.
-
I was reading somewhere that the "younger people" are into cooking now. The number one condiment among twenty-somethings is hot sauce. When I was in my twenties my idea of cooking at home was Rice a Roni, or boil in the bag type meat on toast. I still don't mind eating that stuff in a pinch.
-
One thing I don't compromise on is butter. I can say without hesitation that if I were told that if I didn't eat butter, and instead ate that horrible bread spread margarine stuff I could live a whole year longer when I'm old, I'd say screw it. Pass the butter.

No comments: