Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tribute to Dad

-
Maybe there is something to the old adage that women really seek to marry men like their father. I say this with some bemusement because when I was young a statement like that would have sent me into hysterics. Dad and I never saw eye to eye on much back then.
-
But now? I sure could use a blue eyed Finnish carpenter around here right about now.
-
I can remember dad and I riding around the township and he would veer down a side street and say, "See that house over there? I built it. See that porch? I put that on 20 years ago and it looks good. And that roof? It looks okay too. I see his neighbor needs a new roof...."
-
And so it went.
-
I can't remember a repairman ever coming to the house. Dad did his own plumbing, sewer work, painting, roofing, and just about everything. And his buddy was a telephone man. So we had phone cable strung to everyroom in the house including the garage, the cellar and underground to the greenhouse up on the hill. Both ends of the couch had phone jacks, too. This was before
wireless phones.
-
Dad would have been 84 today. I miss you dad. There's a lot of work to do here yet.

1 comment:

Suki said...

Sweet tribute.